Purpose of the role
• To assist the IT paid member of staff in the use and development of IT resources in the bureau.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
Developing IT in the bureau
• Have a broad understanding of the IT requirements of the bureau and the solutions available.
• Contribute to the bureau's continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
• Play a role in developing and implementing the CAB IT Strategy.
Maintaining the IT system and providing technical support
• Respond to requests from computer users regarding hardware, software, or network connection problems or questions.
• Resolve problems or provide "how-to" instructions.
• Ensure that a regular back-up routine is followed and checked on a daily basis.
• Ensure that anti-virus software is kept up to date across the network.
• Make sure that the servers and workstations are kept up to date with the latest security fixes and updates recommended by the software manufacturers.
• Refer the more difficult problems or non-routine requests to other technical support staff or the IT Service Desk.
• Place service calls with vendors and co-ordinate service for the user.
• Advise users of the ongoing status of their request when necessary.
• Review records to check hardware / software inventory, update service calls, and verify or modify user identification records.
• Update and revise reference materials and work procedures.
• Ensure that all work carried out is documented and clearly understandable.
• Ensure that Health and Safety Regulations for Display Screen Equipment are in place and staff and volunteers are aware of them.
• Ensure that software licences are obtained and updated for all software.
Personal and professional development
• Attend courses / meetings as agreed.
• Keep up to date on new IT developments.
• Prepare for and attend regular supervision sessions.
Other tasks and responsibilities
• Uphold the aims and principles of the CAB service and its equality and diversity policies.
• Keep up to date with policies and procedures relevant to bureau work and undertake relevant training within guidelines issued by Citizens Advice.
• Abide by health and safety guidelines and share responsibility for own safety and that of colleagues.
• Attend appropriate internal and external meetings as agreed by service manager.
• Web design/ upkeep and social media
Personal skills and qualities that an IT worker needs:
Some Knowledge of:
• Microsoft operating systems
• PC hardware and peripherals.
• Microsoft Office
• Diagnostic tools and online monitoring software.
• Web design and social media
• Communicate in a one-to-one or group setting regarding technical or non-technical subjects.
• Understand and apply written material.
• Input data or information accurately.
• Learn role-related material through oral instruction, observation and reading.
• Work with the team to diagnose technical problems and recommend solutions.
• Monitor and maintain health and safety standards in the use of IT equipment.
• Monitor and maintain own standards.
• Work on own initiative, prioritise own work and meet deadlines - within established procedures and guidelines.
• Demonstrate good interpersonal skills.
• Understand and operate within the aims and principles of the CAB service and its equality and diversity policies.
• Operate safely within health and safety policies and procedures.
Experience and training:
• Paid or unpaid experience in providing first line technical computer support for users and / or network support / administration.
This opportunity will assist you in gaining the following skills:
- Problem solving/Creativity
- Communication Skills
Training will be provided by the organisation for this position:
ongoing in-house training with our IT specialist
We are unable to reimburse travel expenses