Reading Friends is all about reading, whether that’s books, magazines, newspapers, or anything else, chatting together and having fun. You don’t have to be an expert in literature to take part. All that’s needed is a love of reading and a desire to help people feel more connected in their community.
As a Reading Befriender, you'll be helping to tackle loneliness in your local community by using books and reading to share stories and start conversations over the telephone.
Reading Friends is a national programme developed by the Reading Agency and administered in Stockton by Stockton Borough Libraries
- To make a weekly phone call to an individual who has registered to use the service.
- To carry out a 30-60 minute phone conversation with a focus on reading but not exclusive to reading.
- To provide a listening ear and friendly voice to people who may be feeling lonely.
- To provide a non-judgemental, open minded environment for the individual to share their thoughts.
- To raise any concerns to the Reading Friends co-ordinator should any additional needs or services be identified.
Fundify is a tech for good start-up, helping individuals to find grants for education, poverty and disability.
We're looking for volunteers to support with a new project supporting girls to build confidence and self-esteem in secondary schools. The role will involve being part of group sessions with girls to discuss the issues that are relevant to their lives